Solid Waste and Recycling
GARBAGE AND TRASH REMINDER
Household garbage should be bagged and placed inside your 95 gallon containers. The containers must not be overfilled so that the lids can be securely closed. Ordinary trash, small amounts of yard trimmings, and non-recycleable items are to be co-mingled with your household garbage. No construction debris, paint, chemicals, flourescent bulbs or other hazardous materials should be placed in the containers.
Please do not place trash curbside for collection. If you place your trash at the curb, you risk being assessed a fee for violating the Town's ordinance. Paid gardeners, or other lawn maintenance personnel are required to take the yard debris away, not leave it for the Town to collect. Remember that the Town will not pick-up construction debris.
Special pickups of bulk trash items such as furniture, mattresses, box springs, bed frames, couches, chairs and other large household items are only done on Thursdays. Items with glass may NOT be included, unless the glass is first removed. You must call Town Hall at 305-866-6241 to schedule a pick-up of home appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, washer/dryers, dishwashers, etc. Refrigerator, freezer, and oven doors MUST BE REMOVED for the safety of others.
Garbage & Trash Pick-up Days:
CONDOS & APTS (EAST ISLAND) – MON/WED/FRI
HOUSES (WEST ISLAND) –TUE/THUR/SAT
- Do not place garbage containers or bags at curbside.
- Non-recyclables and unwanted small household items must be placed inside your 95 gallon containers, or in the case of businesses and larger condos inside the dumpster. Items not in the containers will be left behind.
Recycling Pick-up Days:
CONDOS & APTS (EAST ISLAND) – MON/THUR
HOUSES (WEST ISLAND) - TUE/FRI
What Can I Recycle?
Through advances in recycling technology, you have more options than ever. And it's a good thing because we need to conserve as many of our resources as possible.
STEEL, TIN AND ALUMINUM
- ALUMINUM CANS
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a television for three hours.
- ALUMINUM FOIL AND BAKEWARE
- Clean it off before putting it in the recycling bin.
- STEEL CANS AND TIN CANS (SOUP CANS, VEGGIE CANS, COFFEE CANS, ETC.)
- FLATTENED CARDBOARD & PAPERBOARD
- All boxes must FIRST be flattened and then placed inside the dumpster or container. Homes & condos may place flattened cardboard next to the recycling container if it doesn't not fit inside.
- Cardboard dairy & juice cartons, rinsed and flattened
- Office paper, file folders, colored paper, paper bags, newspapers, magazines & junk mail are all recycllable. Don't be afraid to recycle magazines. The shiny coating doesn't contaminate the paper.
- Paper Cardboard, Dairy & Juice Containers
- JARS AND BOTTLES
- All should be rinsed and upcapped. Acceptable Glass types are:
- Clear (flint) glass
- Brown (amber) glass
- Green (emerald) glass
- ?Not all glass can be recycled. The following items should not be placed into your recycling bin:
- Cathode-ray tubes (CRTs) found in some televisions and computer monitors
- Light bulbs
- Metal or plastic caps and lids.
- Mirror or window glass
- Mixed colors of broken glass.
- Heat-resistant glass, such as Pyrex.
- Ceramics, such as dishware, ovenware, and decorative items
- Any glass contaminated with stones, dirt, and excessive food waste
- PLASTIC BOTTLES, JARS AND JUGS
- Plastic containers #1-5 & 7 only.
- No plastic bags or polystyrene foam cups & containers.
Bulk Pick-up Day:
Thursday is the only day large, bulk items are picked-up from curbside. Absolutely no construction debris.
- Glass inserts in doors of appliances and furniture must be smashed, the glass removed and placed within a bag in your garbage container. Remove glass shelves and other components as well.
- Stoves, refrigerators, freezers washing machines, dryers, other appliances and furniture must have the doors removed.
- Do not place large items or a large accumulation of items curbside prior to Wednesday, in order to avoid a code violation and a possible fine.
- Items not accepted include household hazardous waste, spas, pianos, camper shells, cast iron bathtubs or items requiring more than two people to safely handle.
You must call Town Hall at 305-866-6241 to schedule a pick-up of home appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, washer/dryers, dishwashers, etc.